Enjoy the Journey With PixelSpoke!
PixelSpoke is an environment for the quick-witted, good-humored, analytical, creative spirits inside each of us — and we’re looking for the next outstanding team member! If you can laugh at yourself, think on your feet, and have a passion for building creative solutions, PixelSpoke might be a good fit for you!
We’ve been called a “happy cult of goodness” by people who’ve observed our team in action, and we’ve happily adopted the description. PixelSpokers have a wide variety of interests and experiences, but we come together to form a pretty magical group.
Learn more about us at Pixelspoke.com
If that sounds good to you, keep reading! There’s lots of great stuff in here.
About the Position
You will work as part of a small, engaged team of project managers, designers, and programmers to do front-end programming on websites and a variety of digital projects. The work is fast-paced and includes a mixture of team collaboration and working on your own. We are selective about the types of clients we work with, and in a typical work week you will be focused on a handful of client projects. Please note that this is a remote work position.
- Full WordPress sites
- Elegant and simple code that is easy to update and is clearly documented
- Big ideas for our clients to innovate in their industries
- Projects completed on time and on budget
A Day in the Life
Grab a cup of coffee and start the morning with a 7-minute team huddle via video conference that gets everyone on the same page for the day. From there, it’s on to projects! It’ll be up to you to manage your assigned tasks and deadlines (with support, of course).
You might spend the morning building out a feature for an existing client, then take a break and stretch your legs while grabbing some lunch. After that, there are likely to be some small tasks assigned from the Account Managers, so you could spend an hour or so knocking those out.
Throw in a Developer Team meeting and work on the next subpage in the site you are building, and your day is over!
Year 1 Success Metrics
- Build 3 complete websites from start to finish
- Contribute one high value plug-in extension to our core Credit Union install
- 70% or greater personal billable time each week
We’re Looking for Someone With…
- 3+ years of WordPress experience
- Plug-in creation and maintenance experience
- High-level knowledge of best practices in site security measures
- Practice spoken English
- Stable broadband internet & electric with backups as needed
- A professional & quiet home office space
- Do you have 3+ years’ experience with front-end development and WordPress?
- Do you love thinking up a level and seeing the big picture for what you are working on?
- Do you love collaborating and creating new things as a team?
- Can you manage multiple projects at a time while paying strict attention to detail?
- Can you manage your own time effectively and work well with a team to make sure projects stay on schedule and budget?
- Do you get as excited to finish a project as you do to start it?
- Are you a voracious learner looking for a growth opportunity?
- Do you love burritos? (Okay, not actually required.)
- If you’re not sure about your answer to any of these questions, are you excited by the challenge of learning how to develop these new skills?
If you answered “yes” to these questions, we want to meet you!
By the way, we think this position is perfect for you if…
You are a skilled freelance developer who wants to leave behind the drudgery of contracting administration and finding clients, and instead do what you love with a small, tight-knit team of people who will push you and themselves to do great work and have fun at the same time.
Why Join the PixelSpoke Team?
We have a lot of reasons for loving our workplace, but here are a few of the biggest ones:
PixelSpoke Nurtures Lifelong Learning.
We believe in professional development and we encourage our employees to get involved in professional organizations, take classes, and spend time on individual development.
Business as a Force for Good
PixelSpoke is made up of people who care about the world we live in and are committed to making it a better place. As a certified B Corp, PixelSpoke is making the world a better place by implementing rigorous standards for environmental and community impact. On an individual level, members of our team are committed to environmental action, social justice, community development, the arts, and more. To learn more, watch our CEO Cameron talk about Business as a Force for Good.
High Quality Work
PixelSpoke has received numerous awards and other shiny objects, including 6 Davey Awards and 5 Communicator Awards, and we are a proud member of the Small Giants community. Our CEO has been honored at the G20 Young Entrepreneur Summit and as one of Portland’s 40 under 40 in business.
We work with two primary types of clients, all closely aligned with our desire to work with organizations that want to make the world a better place.
- Credit Unions: We believe that local finance is a critical component of healthy communities, and we work with credit unions across the country to help them stand out and compete against the big guys.
- Forward-Thinking Businesses: As a proud B Corp, we attract like-minded businesses that are committed to using business as a force for good.
Our culture determines how we communicate with clients and each other, and everything we do is guided by our core values:
- Enjoy the Journey – We find joy in our shared journey, practice solutions not blame, and cultivate gratitude in the present moment
- Improve Every Day – We are constantly moving towards the best version of ourself, personally and professionally
- Build “Everybody Wins” Relationships – We can create outcomes greater than the sum of their parts through authentic relationships and creative connections
PixelSpoke values a diverse workforce. People of all types, including women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
If there is anything we can do to accommodate you to participate fully in the recruitment or interview process, please let us know.
What Comes Next
Our Hiring Process
We have a more thorough hiring process than most small businesses. This is because we believe that the cost of a mis-hire is enormous to both an individual and a company. Our process consists of several interviews, an analysis of your career history, and in-depth reference checks. We respect your time and appreciate your participation in our process. We want you to find the ideal position for your skillset and strengths.
How to Apply
If you feel you can contribute to a dynamic, growing company, please begin your application process by completing the form below, including uploading your:
- Your resume
- A brief cover letter including which of our core values resonated the most with you
- A piece of code you’re particularly proud of
No phone calls, please.